Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Late August update

Bit of a breather here, meaning a couple of weekends with no new towns to run in. And just in time, too, because in the past two weeks I've been nursing a stubbornly inflamed Achilles tendon in my right foot. Usually this goes away readily, but it's stuck around pretty consistently since the race in Epsom on Sunday, Aug. 14.

So, besides applying cold packs to it, I've been staying off it, which is sometimes the only cure. Hope it calms down in time for the races that starting coming fast and furious again next month. I'd still like to go for a couple of long-ish ones, including the New Hampshire Half-Marathon on Sunday, Oct. 1, but that's only going to happen if things go well.

Well, it's been a productive season. I've added about a dozen new communities to my roster, taking it up to a total of 126 (out of 234) and passing the half-way point somewhere in there. I might have a discrepancy in the count this spring, which I have to look into and rectify. I tell you, it's always something.

In the meantime, I've finally been getting on the bike and getting in some mileage. We've had excellent summer weather here in New Hampshire -- sunny, breezy, and dry. So on Monday I rode for about an hour, and then on Tuesday I pushed myself and took a hilly ride all the way out to New Boston, a nearby town, and then back through Goffstown and Bedford. About 2.25 hours, longest ride by far this season and on my new Giant Defy touring bike.

It's been more than a year since I had my bike-destroying accident (on July 31, 2010) and to be honest, I'm still a little apprehensive on some of the narrower roads when traffic is present. Hope that goes away, but it's hard to not be thinking that every driver who comes up behind you could be the one...

Most drivers are considerate and clearly drive in a way that shows a willingness to share the road. To those who do, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment